Often called “The Garden City,” Orangeburg, SC was officially founded in 1730. The town was named for the hometown of William IV of Orange, son-in-law of King George II of Great Britain. At the time, Orangeburg, SC was little more than a fur trading post.
Over the centuries, the town became home to two major universities: Claflin University and South Carolina State University, both historically black institutions. In part because of this, the town was an important center of the Civil Rights Movement.
Today, Orangeburg, SC is a pleasant town with a thriving downtown area. In 2005, all of Orangeburg County was awarded the coveted All-America City award by the National Civic League. Attractions such as the Edisto Memorial Gardens, IP Stanback Museum & Planetarium, and the Orangeburg Festival of Roses are much beloved by residents and visitors alike.